For this full-day tour we visit Auckland’s west coast and east coast, visiting places that are not on the regular tourist trail, but which offer the following fantastic photographic opportunities:
- Landscape photography at Muriwai Beach, on the wild west coast. Muriwai is renowned for its surfing, kite surfing, rock fishing, surf carnivals and its black iron sand which gets very hot in summer. The headland is also home to a large colony of gannets. We will send time walking the beach looking for patterns in the black sand, photograph fishers and surfers in action and perhaps, if the surf is up, you may get some great long-exposure shots. Please note that your choice of shots will be guided by time, tide, weather and the season.
- After the beach, it is traditional to have an ice cream and we recommend the iconic Kiwi hokey pokey double-scoop ice cream in a cone. Our treat!
- Lunch at the historic Riverhead Tavern – two courses featuring fresh, locally–sourced ingredients, and a choice of still and sparkling wines followed by tea or freshly-brewed coffee.
- Kumeu River Wines for some wine tasting (and the chance to buy if you wish). While you are here, take some photos of this important place in New Zealand’s history, where the Brajkovich family have been producing internationally–recognised world-class wines for three generations.
- Street photography along the esplanade and wharf of Auckland’s exclusive east coast seaside suburb of Devonport. Here, you will find plenty of photographic opportunities with ferries, fishers and seabirds, along with some stunning views across the harbour tothe city.
- Before returning to your hotel, finish the day with hot chocolate or glass of New Zealand wine with us at the Esplanade Hotel in Devonport.